Powerful estimating with Carlson Takeoff
|Carlson Takeoff is available in two configurations: Takeoff OEM and Takeoff Suite. Takeoff OEM includes an AutoCAD® engine built-in and has all of the same ingredients as the Takeoff Suite, which works on AutoCAD® sold separately, or with IntelliCAD® built-in. The Takeoff Suite is comprised of the modules Carlson CADnet, Carlson Trench, and Carlson GeoTech combined with Carlson Construction. All are fully integrated with Carlson Civil and Hydrology to meet the variety of customers’ needs.|
|Carlson Takeoff is a cut/fill volumes and data prep (for layout or machine control) program that can estimate jobs using paper plan digitizing, PDFs, or electronic CAD files.||Key features include:
- CAD Advantage
- Digitizing & PDFs
- Cut/Fill Volumes
- Material Subgrades
- Road Features
- Data Prep for the Field
- Pricing & More
Carlson Takeoff is the only estimating software built on either the AutoCAD or IntelliCAD engine. Working in the DWG environment natively gives Carlson Takeoff users a distinct “CAD Advantage” when estimating from an Engineer’s electronic files.
Some helpful tools to check for mistakes and fix problems include: Drawing Cleanup (which removes bad elevations, empty layers, invalid linework, converts special entities to standard polylines, and joins broken linework all-in-one command), XREF and DGN Import, and automated 2D To 3D Elevating commands.
If no CAD file is available, Carlson Takeoff offers the flexibility to digitize from paper plans or “on-screen” digitize from a PDF, TIF, JPG image file.
Carlson Takeoff can automatically trace linework in a PDF and “Merge Raster Files” allows a user to easily combine multiple sheets at their match lines. Once linework is created, the steps to calculate quantities are the same as with a CAD file.
Clear and detailed Volume reports include Cut/Fill volumes, Subgrade volumes, Strata volumes, Topsoil Removal/Replacement, and Over-Excavate volumes. Volumes are calculated using 3D triangulation models, the most accurate way to estimate. The program calculates Cut/Fill volumes for the entire site or within “Areas of Interest”.
Visualizations are used to verify quantities and present findings with commands such as 3D Drive Simulation, 3D Drawing Viewer, 3D Surface Viewer, Quick Profile, Cut/Fill Color Map and Cut/Fill Contours with Daylight lines. Also supports Shrink/Swell factors and Export to PDF or Excel.
Subgrades are easily defined by the Layers and linework in the drawing. The Material volume, area, length and/or count can be reported in a standard report, PDF, or Excel.
Subgrade depths are also used to vertically adjust the design surface. Takeoff automatically handles complex subgrade areas nested within each other and hatching allows for quick Quality Control.
Whether taking off Cross-Sections for Volumes or creating Machine Control models with Super Elevations, Carlson Takeoff has Roads covered. Features include the ability to Import/Create/Draw Centerlines, Vertical Profiles, Design Templates, and Cross-Sections.
Includes Calculate End Areas Volumes and Mass Haul Analysis. Dynamically build roads and model intersections with the powerful RoadNET command.
Easy input for Pipe, Trench, and Manhole data. Trench Quantities Report includes Cut volumes, Backfill quantities, linear footage of Pipe by pipe size, material and more.
Trench verification can be done with Pipe Profiles, 3D Pipes, and a Depth Zone Color Map.
Strata surfaces created from Drillhole data can be used to calculate Strata Cut, Topsoil Removal, or Over-Excavation of a material.
Once Strata surfaces are created, they are automatically incorporated in standard features such as Calculate Total Volumes, Quick Profile, Surface Inspector, and Cut/Fill Labels. Advance Settings allows the user to determine different modeling methods to insure the most accurate Strata surface is created.
Accurately prepare jobs for Stakeout or Machine Control in the field with commands such as Draw-Locate Points, Create Points from Entities, Divide Along Entity, Triangulation File Utilities, as well as Topcon, Trimble, and Leica Machine Control Surface Export.
The Takeoff Suite is comprised of the modules Construction, CADnet, GeoTech, and Trench WITHOUT the AutoCAD engine built-in.
Explaining Your Choice of CAD
Carlson Takeoff is offered in two general product configurations:
- OEM: As a “stand-alone AutoCAD” product which features an embedded AutoCAD “OEM” graphical engine.
- Suite: As a third-party “add-on” to AutoCAD® or “stand-alone IntelliCAD” through the included copy of IntelliCAD.
For details on the underlying CAD engines, click here.
- New Direct PDF output for Cut/Fill Volume Reports, 3D Surface Models, Surface Profiles, Site Plan Views, Cross Sections.
- User-Defined Area Breakdowns for both Material Quantities and Cut/Fill Volumes.
- Best in the business Cross-Section processing; PDF and TIF File Import; DGN File Import.
- Get the ability to turn scanned paper plans into CAD linework.
- Send jobs straight to Topcon MC. Exports both .tn3 (surface models) and now .ln3 (linework) files.
- Work with “bad CAD” more easily. With more functions in Drawing Cleanup.
Get more info from reports
- Volume Reports now include horizontal area and max cut/fill.
- Improvements made to Cut/Fill Color Maps and Contours.
2D to 3D Conversion
- 2D to 3D conversion routines for linework and spot elevations.
- Surfaces are modeled by triangulation
- 3D drive-over simulation
Easy to use
- Automated routines with reduced prompting
- Runs on AutoCAD engine, versions 2000-2011
Complete Feature List
File Import / Export
- AutoCAD DWG
- Point Data (LDT, Carlson, CG, Sokkia, Leica, Geodimeter, TDS, Benchmark)
- Raw Data (CG, Fieldbook, Sokkia, Leica, Geodimeter, TDS, Caice, SDMS, Nikon, SMI)
- Centerline Data (Terramodel, Geodimeter, Geopak, Sokkia, Softdesk, Leica)
- Profile Data (Caice, Terramodel, Softdesk, Sokkia, Leica)
- Section Data (Agtek, Ceal, Geopak, Igrds, Moss, RoadCalc, SMI, Softdesk)
CAD Edit Tools
- Layer Controls
- Unlimited Undo / Redo
- Erase, Move, Copy, Offset, Trim, Extend, Explode, Break, Rotate, Scale, Align
- Polyline Utilities
- Remove empty layers
- Remove invalid linework
- Join broken linework
- Reduce Polyline vertices
- Set out of range elevations to zero
- Erase hatch entities
- Set boundary Polyline for site
- Set exclusion areas
- Display hatch of boundary areas
Topsoil Removal / Replacement
- Set amounts for topsoil removal and replacement
- Set areas for topsoil removal and for replacement
- Display hatch areas for topsoil removal and replacement
- Calculate topsoil removal and replacement volumes and areas
- Model overexcavate surfaces
- Adjust overexcavate surfaces within perimeter polyline
- View overexcavate surface
- Report overexcavate cut volume
- Define subgrade areas by closed Polylines on specified layers
- Define subgrade depths by layer
- Adjust design surface by subgrade depths within subgrade areas
- Handles multiple subgrade areas nested within each other
Existing / Design Surfaces
- One step routines to make existing and design surfaces from entities on specified layers
- Surface Manager to support multiple existing/design surfaces
- Adjust design surface vertically within perimeter Polyline
- Calculates cut/fill volumes for entire site or within perimeter Polyline
- Calculates volumes for a series of elevation stages
- Apply shrink/swell factors
- Volume report includes cut/fill volumes and areas, strata volumes, topsoil removal/replacement and over-excavate volumes
- Reports volume, area, length and/or count values for drawing entities grouped by entity layer name
- Option for user-defined attributes to apply by layer
- Supports export to Excel
- 2D / 3D Linework
- Title Block, North Arrow, Barscale
- Boundary Polyline
- Shrink-Wrap Polyline
- Building Envelope Polyline
2D to 3D Tools
- Change Elevations By Selected Entities
- Spot Elevations
- Edit-Assign Polyline Elevations
- 2D To 3D Polyline (By Points, Text or Text With Leader)
- Contour Polylines (Multiple In Series, Selected or From Labels)
- Pad Polylines By Interior Text
- Surface Inspector (Surface elevations, cut/fill)
- Drawing Inspector (Elevations, Layers, Polyline data)
- Import Drillhole data
- Input-Edit Drillholes
- Drillhole Data Reports
- Model Strata Surfaces
- Calculate Strata Quantities
- Visualize Strata Cut Areas
- Supports any digitizer supported by AutoCAD
- Spot Elevations
- 2D/3D Linework
- End Areas
- Centerlines (Create, Import, Draw)
- Profiles (Create, Import, Draw, Report)
- Sections (Create, Import, Draw, Report)
- Calculate Section Volumes
- Calculate End Areas
- Road Design files for transitions, super elevation
- Process Road Design for final sections, final contours and volumes